• 1½ – 2 pounds of Fresh Pumpkin, quartered and seeded.
• 4 Potatoes, peeled and diced.
• 2 Tablespoon fresh Ginger, minced.
• 1 Tablespoon fresh Garlic, minced.
• 1 Yellow Onion, medium dice.
• 4-6 cups of Vegetable/Chicken stock.
• 1-2 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar.
• 1 Tablespoon of honey or brown sugar.
• 1 Teaspoon each cumin, coriander, salt.
• ½ – 1 Teaspoon of Chipotle Pepper Sauce or hot sauce of choice.
• 2 Tablespoon of Butter, unsalted.
• Herb and Garlic Croutons
• Crème fraîche
•4 Ounces of Gruyere or Swiss Cheese, grated, for garnish.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Quarter the fresh pumpkin, seed.
Brush with olive oil or butter, sprinkle with cumin, coriander, and a pinch of nutmeg and brown sugar.
Bake covered in foil until tender, approximately 45 minutes. Remove from oven, cool, scoop out and reserve.
Heat the butter over medium heat in a large heavy pot.
Add the onions and cook until soft and translucent (about 10 minutes).
Add the pumpkin, ginger, and potatoes. Cook for another 3 minutes. Add the stock.
Bring mixture to a simmer and cook for about 45 minutes to an hour.
Add balsamic vinegar, honey or sugar, hot sauce, and spices.
Simmer on low an additional 30 minutes.
Use a a wand mixer to puree or transfer to blender and back into a soup pot.
Check seasonings and adjust for flavor.
Serve with croutons, gruyere or swiss cheese and crème fraîche.